Sunday 27 March 2011

Census

Today is an important day, as we all account for ourselves to the 2011 Census. It is amazing to think that in a hundred years from now, just as information is available to us now from the 1911 Census, so people will be able to look up our details. Perhaps a great great grandchild will go looking for us as part of a genealogy project. It'd be nice to think so.

I am sat here typing as a way to avoid packing bags. I need to get a case down from the loft in a while and put some stuff in there to last me for the week, as I am off to Brighton until Friday, staying in the hotel of curvy walls.

Paul has been with us today, and has just headed for home - off to continue with doing up his flat ready to put it on the market. Nicky had a read of his script as well, and was impressed. We both want to read episode 2 soon to see what happens to the characters.

A bit of trivia for Kate if she is reading this, as I am reminded of her game "Who is going to pay for a new kettle?", as referred to in this post. Well, it turns out that we have a similar game in this house, but the rules appear to be rather different. Yesterday morning I made myself a cup of coffee, and the kettle was fine. Then a little while later I went to make a cup of tea for Paul, and the blue light came on when I switched the switch on the kettle, but there was no sign of water-warming taking place.

Being the practically minded soul that I am, I stared at it for a while, I switched it off and on again (clearly a career in IT is calling me!) and I tried putting some more water in it. None of these inspired moves made the slightest difference, so I declared it broken, and went in search of the emergency, stove-top kettle, and after a while was able to provide Paul with a hot cuppa.

Then, when we went off to play pool for the afternoon, I mentioned in passing to Nicky that we seemed to have a kaput kettle. Scroll forward a few hours, and we get back from our sporting afternoon to discover that we have a new kettle in pride of place on the side in the kitchen. Well, I say kettle, it is actually some whizz-bang device that boils and dispenses somewhere between a small cup or jug of water at a time depending on how you adjust the dial. All very flash indeed.

So, as I say - same game - different rules!